Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My name is Haven Grace

Prayer time is more than a daily thing around our house and still it seems like there just aren't enough opportunities for everyone to "get a turn." The boys are all at school during the week so for breakfast and lunch the girls switch each days who says which prayer. I'm telling you all of this to explain that Haven gets ample opportunity to pray (not to mention their personal prayers as well) and one would think she has gotten the technicalities of it down by now but... She kept closing her prayer without saying the "in the name of Jesus Christ" part. For months I corrected her and we went to the next day knowing that she would get it right this time. SO... a few days ago, we were at the table and it was again Haven's turn to pray and again she ended with the appropriate "Amen" omitting the "in the name of Jesus Christ " part... again. But this time she adds, "in the name of Haven Grace, Amen."
So now I ask her... "Haven? !?!? Why would you say that? You're supposed to say...."
She then cuts me off to interject her reply of, "Mom! My name is not Jesus Christ! It's Haven Grace!"

The logic of such little ones never ceases to amaze me. I guess our next family home evening lesson should be about the difference between signing a correspondence and saying a prayer. In any case, I have no doubt that Heavenly Father hears the voices of his precious little ones regardless of what they say before the "amen." I rest assured he knows Haven Grace's heart and am ever so grateful she's learning of his.

3 comments:

HeavenlyHome said...

ok, that is soooo funny! I love those parenting moments that show me what I need to do to teach these little ones, but I get to laugh while I learn! We have plenty of those over here, too! Like last Easter when 6 year old Indy kept calling Judas Iscariot "Judas the-scariest"!! "Ummmm," I say to Indy, "you almost got it buddy, actually, your way is probably better, ...but his real name is....!" Precious times! Thanks for sharing!

amber said...

Too precious.
I remember Mom and Dad always telling me that when I was a toddler I always said at the end of the dinner prayer, "But you don't have to bless the vegetables 'cuz I'm not gonna eat 'em anyway."
Oh they are so funny.
LOL

Sandra said...

how cute