Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Already?

So Spring Break officially began as the boys were released from school Friday afternoon. Just a short 24 hours later we were already in the ER.
This is Brayden's second trip to the ER. He went for stitches when he was just two years old. From that trip we learned that
"windows are not doors." From this trip we learned that monkeys really should not be jumping on beds!



So he has a total of five stitches in his little shin. Two under the surface and three on top. He is very proud of his ID bracelet and was upset that I did not show everyone his red NKA band around his ankle! I have to insert what an incredibly tough guy he was/is. He has an extremely high tolerance to pain and doesn't generally show a variety of emotion but I thought maybe strange places with lots of strange people would bring out some water works if not the actual needle sewing through his skin! He was far too fascinated with all of the new computers and intriguing equipment to be bothered by the pesky pokeys. (Plus Mom had the ever trusty orange starbursts on hand.)


And I think Payten was feeling a little left out on all the "ouchy" attention Brayden was getting. What do you think?


I really enjoy having one on one time with the kids. We try to keep up with that but it is very hard. On this trip with Brayden I got to listen to him talk and talk about what ever his little heart desired which always makes for interesting conversation. This time on the way home from the ER was he telling me about his incredible memory. The time we went camping when he was two and there was a big radio tower he could see from our tent. The green truck we used to have. (when he was three.) All of the old appliances we've ever had. He's such a funny quirky guy. :) He was telling me about how he can close his eyes and just see pictures of everything. Ahhh... I guess that's how he does it! Then he started telling me how he can still remember his Nana and Rachael but that he misses them very much. That is the first time Brayden has shown or verbalized any feelings about the situation. I asked him if he wanted to call them and this is how the rest of the conversation went.
Brayden says, "No thanks."
I say, "Talking to people on the phone can help you not miss them so badly and help you to always remember them."
"That's OK Mom. I don't really like to talk on the phone much. Besides, I won't forget them. You know how Nana said to do those hugs like these." (wrapping his arms around his own body and squeezing tight imagining you were getting a Nana hug. Pretend is not Brayden's fortei.) " Well. I don't have to do that because I can just close my eyes and see her."
Must come in handy.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Holy smokes BW! What a tough boy! I miss you lots and lots too, but most especially my super duper BW hugs! Those are the GREATEST. I look at pictures all the time. Miss all of you and can't wait to see you in May, when B walks that stage!

amber said...

The caption of Payten's photo should SO be, "The mama called the doctor and the doctor said, NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED!"
Heal quickly, Brayden. Close your eyes and picture that!

Lynne said...

I sure am sorry you got hurt on Haven's bed! How glad I was to get to talk to you while you were coming home; funny that I called when you were coming home, huh!! Nana soooooooo misses giving you those hugs; it makes me smile to know you can still feel them just by closing your eyes! Nana, Pop-pop and Auntie Rachael will be there at the end of school for "B's' graduation and we can re-enforce all those hugs!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXO