Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Harder than we thought it would be





We've known for months and months that Rachael, Nana and Grandpa were moving to Washington state and thought we were all handling it very well. That was until it came down to a matter of weeks and then the daily countdowns and tears began from my children knowing that we would be lucky to see that part of our family (our only family within more than a thousand miles) any time soon. All of my sweet children were torn at the thought of knowing that some of their favorite and most important people in their lives just wouldn't be there anymore. Even now, four days after they have left, I know I won't make it through this entry without more tears of my own. (Crap. Here they come.)
Bryan has lived within walking distance of my parents house for twelve of his seventeen years of life. My other children have lived that close their whole lives. Living that close to family comes with it's ups and downs but knowing that there was someone that close who loved them that much was always the gift I never took for granted. It was the perk you know? Needless to say it was and will continue to be a difficult life adjustment for my little ones and for me as I struggle to fill the void I know no one ever can. No one can replace a Nana. Their Nana.
So I guess all I have left to say now is thank you. Thank you Granpa for being with us when it mattered even though we are loud and crazy most of the time! Thank you Rachael for all the laughing and tickle monsters any child could handle. Thank you for the "Bolt" date that we'll never forget. Thank you Nana for the endless smiles and hugs that would warm any child. Thank you for the afternoon painting projects and bottomless box of side walk chalk. Thank you for the snacks and treats and unforgettable sleepovers. Thank you for sharing all those birthdays and Christmases with us for nine years. Thank you Nana for loving us the way only a Nana can. We love you and miss you very very much.
We knew it was going to be sad but man... This whole thing is much harder than we thought it would be.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am sorry Kim. I and sure is hard to say goodbye since you have lived so close. I guess Washington will be your new vacation spot, right?

amber said...

Crying right along with you. Nothing else to say. O yeah, there is. Love you tons and tons and tons.

Cothran Family said...

Love you guys! We got them for 2 days and had a hard time letting them go! I can't imagine how you guys are feeling. We aren't that far away, are we? Utah is calling the Draper's name. Love ya.

Rae said...

Okay, the waterworks were totally renewed. Been a while since I cried that hard (oh yah-it was just a week and a half ago)! I miss you all a ton! Give each other big hugs from Auntie Rachael.

Lynne said...

My heart has such huge holes in it right now; the cold weather outside holds to comparison to the emptiness nor the rain running down my window panes to the tears running down my cheeks. I miss you all so..............xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox