Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Poor Puppy

Another sad story from the Draper's house and then I will post a few happy ones. Promise!



This was our 10 month old lab mix puppy "Rori" in January. She is the sweetest most loveable dog I've ever had. Absolutely no complaints about this one minus the never ending battle to keep off of the furniture!

This next picture of Rori was taken last Thursday after her surgery to repair the damage done by a gun shot wound.



No we don't know how or why it happened. Absolutely no clue. I still haven't wrapped up all of my thoughts about it so I won't say much about my many emotions there but a very long story summed up as emotionally detached as I can sound is....
Went missing Friday night. Miraculously found her way home Sunday evening as my parents and Rachael were leaving for their new home in Washington state. At first vets thought she was kicked by some kind of large animal but the surgery prep Monday morning found the gun shot entrance and during surgery, the exit. Aside from her leg being shattered (therefore amputated) and her eye ruined "from some kind of blunt trauma" (therefore removed), during the surgery they also found one of her lungs damaged and they thought for that afternoon that after all that had been done, she probably wasn't going to make it. She started turning around that evening and has continued with her score of miracles ever since.
We brought her home Tuesday night with a drainage tube in her chest and staples and stitches galore. Wednesday morning she was walking around with me and Thursday she was running her new trot with me outside in our yard!. Friday she was getting up and walking around the house as she pleased which meant Friday was the night I got to sleep back in my bed instead of on the couch next to the dog! Saturday they removed her drainage tube and in just over another week from now they will take out her stitches.
She's absolutely an amazing animal with a zest for life and is so thankful to still be living it. (She told me so. wink wink.) And we are thankful to still have her. She's still the same sweet and beautiful Rori to us except now she's allowed on the couch!




"

4 comments:

amber said...

Wow. So sad. And so happy that she made it through! Good luck with a full recovery of spirit and soul, minus a leg and an eye.
Love,
Connor, Graeme and Amber

HeavenlyHome said...

no picture of the sign at the mailbox?
I'm still sad, too.

Cothran Family said...

Oh my word. What a trauma to you and your kids! What a couple of weeks you've had Kim. Hang in there girl! I have never been a dog lover until this little rat dog Saphie took hold of my heart. They become a part of the family. Now I understand. Alana is sad for your dog but happy you saved it.
we love you guys.
Eliza and Alana too

Lynne said...

What an amazing animal....prayer really works and we really prayed!! Go Rory!!